Homemade biscuits and gravy is a dish that you will come back and crave again and again once you taste it.
This dish is so simple and easy to make that even a seventh-grader can make it without any inconvenience of adult help.
However, not many people are fond of the idea of mixing biscuits with a sausage gravy sauce.
Although this one is a staple dish in Hoosier diet and may families like to make it on birthday breakfasts, the dish is somehow hard to make sense unless you take a bite to your mouth.
This celebrity dish is extremely delightful and appetizing to have because of the wholesomeness it carries within.
The thick scrumptious gravy spooned over homemade butter biscuits not only look royal but taste luxurious as well.
Let us dive into the details so that you won’t have to wait to get to the recipe.
General Process – Step by Step
When we talk about biscuits and gravy, the standard method that many people use is to buy biscuits from any grocery store and just cook the gravy with or without sausages. However, we will make sausage gravy to add to the taste of it.
The easy way to do it is to cook your sausages in a large pan and sprinkle flour on the sausages and combine them. Add mile slowing to the sausages and flour mixture and cook until it thickens.
Open up your biscuits, place them on a platter, and serve the dish after covering the biscuits in the yummiest gravy. If you want to go for the detailed recipe that included biscuits baking as well, we’ll have that saved for you ahead of this article.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
The tools that it takes for a dish to complete are as important as its ingredients. If you have all the right ingredients, the right recipe, but don’t have the right tools, the results would never be desirable.
Make sure you have all the following kitchen tools and accessories available when cooking biscuits and gravy:
- Stove oven or electric oven
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- Cutting Knife
- Cookie sheets
- Stirring spatula
- Cheese grater
Set up everything by your side so that you won’t be running in the kitchen to find the spatula while the sauce gets burned or the bowl to mix ingredients.
Step By Step Recipe Description
Some dishes are easy to make but their preparation and ingredient selection takes so much of your tie that you are devastated and tired even before actually making the real dish. However, with the biscuits and gravy recipe, this is not the case. This one will take time, but the simplicity level of its preparation is so high that you won’t feel a sweat o your forehead while making it.
In this recipe, we will go a bit detailed than what the general recipe includes. You will also learn in detail about how to make homemade biscuits so that the taste of your dish will become even more lavish. First, we will make our biscuits and when they’ll be in the oven, we’ll prepare the gravy.
Ingredients For Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, frozen
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Remember to preheat your oven at 475 degrees before starting with the other stuff.
- Now take a medium bowl and add flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Whisk them together so that they get combined.
- Bring out the cheese grater and grate the butter with it. Use the largest grating holes to grate the butter and then stir it in the dry mixture.
- Add milk in the mixture slowly and start making dough of it. Mix it well for a soft combination but make sure you don’t make it too soft or gluey.
- Let the dough rest for a while. On your shelf, spread some dry flour and pat the dough on it, keep the dough at almost ¾ inches thick.
- With the help of a biscuit cutter, cut the dough in round biscuit shape.
- Grease the cookie sheet with butter and bake your biscuits for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- With this quantity of ingredients, you can make 10 biscuits at a time.
Ingredients For Gravy
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk (I use 2% or whole)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- When the biscuits are ready now, take a large iron skillet and put your sausages in it. Spread them in an even layer at the bottom of the skillet and sprinkle flour on them.
- Cook them well and keep on stirring until the flour has fully covered the sausages.
- Now take the milk and pour it in the pot. Make sure you keep on mixing it well so that the mixture will be smooth with a thick consistency level.
- Let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes unless it gets to your desired thickness. Whisk it together on a low simmer and add salt and pepper according to your taste or according to the above-mentioned measurements.
- Now take out the biscuits and serve the gravy by pouring it onto the homemade biscuits.
Some Pro Tips
- When you add the milk in the sausages and flour mixture, keep stirring it and make sure the flame is low so that it won’t make clusters.
- If you need a smoother sauce, you can add some butter while cooking the sausages, but add it before you add flour.
- You can always use butter biscuits from any store, but if you have enough time always go for homemade ones.