When water is contaminated with magnesium and calcium, it becomes hard. It is a little difficult to transform the hardness of water into softness.
Though it is possible by discovering a way to soften water without a water softener but doing this brings a lot of tension. The ideal and the easiest way to soften water is by getting the best water softener.
Top 2 Picks: Good Housekeeping Water Softener
There are no traditional techniques for softening water, but there are some products for this purpose. With this content, you will get to know about the top 10 best water softeners in the market, and you will also be enlightened with buying tips, in the buyer’s guide.
The buyer’s guide in this content will help you to understand the complete process of buying a water softener and let you know about the various factors to consider when buying.
Quick Comparison – Editor’s Choice For 10 Best Water Softeners
The products reviewed here are all hard water dealers and are also able to battle the presence of iron in the water. Every model listed in this content is rated for its lifespan, price, usage, maintenance, and efficiency.
10 Best Water Softeners In Our View
Just keep reading and take a look at our evaluated products, which, according to many users and us, have proven to be the best water softeners in the entire market.
1. Pentair 5600sxt-48k-10 Water Softener
- Fleck 5600Sxt digital metered control head
- 1.5 cu. Ft. Upgraded 10 percent crosslink resin
SpecificationsPart Number: 5600sxt-48k-10 | Item Weight: 130 pounds | Product Dimensions: 10 x 10 x 54 inches | Size: 48,000 Grain | Power Source: AC | Voltage: 120 volts | Flow Rate: 14 GPM | Water Consumption: 3.5 GPM | Maximum Pressure: 125 PSI | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 133.9 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
In the Pentair 5600sxt, there is a flow meter installed to be accountable for the water consumption levels and regeneration whenever required. Other than that, it has a mechanical layout which promotes easy installment and usage.
This process decreases the usage of salt and eliminates any wastage of water. A very powerful paddle is used for wheeling; it carries the load finely and does not leak much. It can be reviewed as the best water softener.
Take a look at some of the mind-blowing features of the Pentair 5600sxt.
- Corrosion Resistant: The body of the Pentair 5600sxt is made from corrosion-resistant materials – known as reinforced polymers. The polymers increase the tendency of the body to resist Ultraviolet rays.
- Drain Modules: Also called injector. This also includes flow controls and brine valve; they can be removed from the valve’s exterior.
- Economical: Consumes less energy. Takes less time to energize the piston. The valve mechanizes with one motor.
2. Fleck Iron Pro 2 Water Softener
- Water softener, iron filter, all in one! high flow for whole house use!
- 64,000 grain capacity, fine mesh resin designed for high iron removal & long life
SpecificationsPart Number: IRONPRO2 | Item Weight: 119.5 pounds | Product Dimensions: 14 x 7 x 21 inches | Size: 64k | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 119.5 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
Fleck maintains a very strong position in the water softening products available in the entire market. It began in the USA. The major goal of Fleck’s products is the detailing and better than ever releases. With that being said, Iron Pro 2 is a masterpiece.
The body of this product is the same as any other salt-purpose water softener that deserves praise in the market.
The Iron Pro 2 contains a separate mineral tank and brine, combined with digital controlling functions used for controlling the operations of this product, which provide 15 gallons of water per minute.
Let’s have a look at the amazing features of the Iron Pro 2:
- Digital Functions: The Fleck Iron Pro 2 is operated by digital controls. A touchpad is installed in the Iron Pro 2 which enables easy usage.
- Modes of Operation: The Iron Pro 2 contains four modes of operations; Delayed meter regeneration, day of the week regeneration, immediate meter regeneration, and delayed time clock regeneration.
- Float System: There is a safety float system installed in the brine tank which resists overfilling.
- Backwash: With the help of the regeneration stages, a double backwash (one rapid and one slow backwash) for improving the efficiency of the regeneration stages.
- Bypass valve: It takes the load off from the machine when the tank is full.
3. Fleck 5600sxt BR8 Water Softener
- Fleck 5600sxt Digital on-demand Metered Water Softener with paddle wheel meter...
- Black Structural 10x54" PG 2.5T (CH30579-03010203-30), 14"x34" black square brine tank...
SpecificationsPart Number: WS48-56SXT | Item Weight: 20.8 pounds | Product Dimensions: 27 x 17 x 62 inches | Size: 48,000 Grains | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 119.5 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
The Fleck 5600sxt water softener is a durable water softener offering high-quality features, manufactured in the USA. It is easy to install and use. It is provided with an instruction manual which provides guidelines.
Other than that, this product contains a meter and a control valve for monitoring the operations easily. The Fleck 5600sxt also has a poly glass water tank which is safe for the water. This unit eliminates calcium, magnesium, and iron effectively and does not leave the users with a single comment or complain.
Check This: Best Fleck Water Softeners Review to Buy
Have a look at the Fleck 5600sxt’s features:
- Digital Controls: The status of this unit is easily detected from the digital controls. The quantity of water being used, time of regeneration, and any problems that might require troubleshooting.
- Safety float: The safety float is designed to make sure that there is less wastage of water. Plus, this feature eliminates overflowing of water.
- Regeneration: The regeneration stages determine the usage of water throughout the day.
4. Pelican Salt-Free Water Softener
SpecificationsPart Number: NS6 | Flow Rate: 15 GPM | Product Dimensions: 19 x 21 x 59.5 inches | Style: 4 – 6 Bathrooms | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 65 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
The Pelican Salt-free water softener is the best option indeed. The supplied parts fit perfectly well to the unit, and the installation process is very easy.
This unit guarantees proper elimination of magnesium, calcium, and iron from your water, resulting in soft and clean water. The Pelican Salt-free water softener is a blessing in disguise for those who are tired of the problems occurring from hard water.
Let’s have a look at its features:
- Preventing:This unit gets rid of magnesium and calcium minerals in the water by unclogging the faucets, water pressure, and showerheads.
- Certification:T he Pelican water softener is the only softener certified to be 99.6% efficient.
- Installment: It comes with an instruction manual which helps in the installment of this unit. Plus, it does not require electricity to function.
Must Read: What is Salt Mushing in a Water Softener
5. iSpring Whole House Water Softener
- Protect Your Family and Household Appliance from Sediment, Chlorine, and More: Say goodbye...
- DIY Installation and Maintenance: Refer to our manual and our helpful YouTube videos for...
SpecificationsPart Number: WGB32B | Item Weight: 1 pounds | Product Dimensions: 8 x 28 x 21 inches | Style: Fine Sediment and Carbon | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 24.9 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
The entire purpose and function of the iSpring Whole House Water softener are to be an everlasting and durable unit. The manufacturers of this product offer a 3-year warranty with the replacement of parts during that period.
It is built with high-quality technology, which eliminates the germs from your water and makes it soft. This unit is much easy to use and install in your home. This unit contains less-water wastage features, and that’s very helpful.
Let’s discuss some of its main features briefly:
- UV light: The UV light is used in this unit for eliminating any contaminated particles in the water.
- Chamber: The chamber of the iSpring Whole house water softener is built with stainless steel.
- Fighting tactics: This unit fights from protozoan cysts, viruses, and infectious bacteria in a very subtle way.
6. Aquasana 6-Year, 600,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine and...
- High-Performance Filter System - Carbon & KDF filtration media engineered to maximize...
SpecificationsPart Number: EQ-600-AMZN | Item Weight: 4.25 pounds | Product Dimensions: 9 x 46 x 27 inches | Style: 6-Year Filter System | Flow Rate: 7 GPM | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 24.9 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
The Aquasana 6-Year water filter is manufactured to contain 600,000 gallons of water. This unit is packed with numerous features, and it tends to provide better performance and proper filtration for water to taste best and safe.
The water released from this water softener provides a lot of benefits for household usage. The manufactures offer a long warranty for this unit.
Those people who are looking for an environmental water softener, the Aquasana 6-Yearlong is best to water softener for you.Moreover, it is v easy to use and install.
Below are some of its quick features discussed:
- Clean release: The water released from this unit is healthier and cleaner. It also benefits the skin and hair.
- Removal of Chlorine: This unit removes the presence of chlorine from every outlet in your household.
- Contaminants: The Aquasana 6-year long also eliminates the presence of pesticides, mercury, and lead in the water.
7. Aquasana 5-Year, 500,000 Gallon Well Water Whole House Filter
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine, 99. 9%...
- High-Performance Well Filter System - Carbon & KDF filtration media combined with UV...
The 5-Year, 500,000 Gallon house filter is designed to make it through 5 years with proper durability and same strength. It can filter 500,000 Gallons of water easily every day. This unit also removes scale and reduces the percentage of chlorine present in your water to change its taste.
It is a powerful unit and can change the course of your household in no time. Plus, it requires no electricity for usage and lessens the chances of water wastage. It is a perfect use of your money, and it offers no environmental hazards, which is great.
- Salt-free: The 5-Year, 500,000 Gallon offers salt-free water system which offers a lot of health and skin benefits.
- UV Filtration: The 5-Year, 500,000 Gallon takes the help of UV filtration to murder any bacteria, virus, or other contagious particles present in the water.
- Vapor reduction: This unit plays a major role in vaporizing the chemicals present in the mater.
8. Aquasana THD-AS20 Simply Soft 2-Year 20 in. Salt-Free Water Softener
SpecificationsPart Number: THD-AS20 | Item Weight: 9 pounds | Product Dimensions: 5 x 14 x 23 inches | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 9 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
The basic purpose of the Aquasana THD-AS20 SimplySoft Salt-free water softener is to clean your water by reducing the scale and eliminating the presence of any harmful particles. It is very easy to use and install this unit. With the help of its instruction manual, you can understand the installation process easily.
The size of this unit is very compact, and it is lightweight as well. You can install the Aquasana THD-AS20 in any room you like. With being compact, it can be placed anywhere in your household.
- Salt-free: TheAquasana THD-AS20 releases salt-free water and eliminates the germs present in the water effectively.
- Compact: The Aquasana THD-AS20 has a very compact size, which makes it easy to be placed and
- installed anywhere.
- Bracket: It also comes with a bracket, which is very helpful in the installation process.
9. Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter with Salt-Free Softener
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine and...
- High-Performance Filter System - Carbon & KDF filtration media engineered to maximize...
SpecificationsPart Number: EQ-1000-AMZN | Item Weight: 51 pounds | Product Dimensions: 9 x 46 x 44 inches | Size 10 Yr, 1 Million Gl | Style 10-Year Filter System | Water Consumption 7 GPM | Flow Rate 7 GPM | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 9 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
Aquasana is very famous for providing the best water softeners for every household. It offers long-lasting units for every household. Just like that, the Aquasana 10-Year Whole house salt-free water softener offers the household members with free of germs water that is beneficial for both the skin and the health.
The Aquasana 10-Year can be able to accommodate 1,000,000 gallons of water into its tank. This means you will not have to purchase a new water softener for the next ten years.
The Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 water softener functions without having to drain or backflush the water. It offers very high performance. The box of this unit is provided with all the necessary tools needed for installment.
- No water waste: The Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 works in a very efficient manner that it reduces the chances of water wastage.
- Pipes: The pipes that are used for fitting are .75.’
- Add-ons: This unit contains shut-off valves, filter tank, and a SimplySoft tank.
10. On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain RV Water Softener
- The Double Standard Softener & Conditioner produces twice the gallons compared to the...
- Built for the owner of any RV/Marine model, this 16,000 grain unit is a perfect fit and...
SpecificationsPart Number: 617629986785 | Item Weight: 65 pounds | Product Dimensions: 10 x 10 x 54 inches | strong>Style 1 Mil. Gal. Capacity | Batteries Required? No | Shipping Weight: 65 pounds | Warranty & Support: Yes
Tired of your scaly scalp and cracked skin because the water is so hard on you? Say goodbye to all your hard water troubles by bringing home one of the best water softeners of this year.
On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain, RV Water Softener is the ultimate solution to convert hard water into soft without any hassle.
This water softener is feature-packed, which is why it performs more than your expectations. It is not only designed to grab your attention, but the lightweight, easy installation and longevity of this softener makes it a must-buy.
- This water softener can soften 1600 gallons of water in just 30 minutes that is 40% more than the general capacity of any other water softener.
- This mightily working water softener is surprisingly not so mighty in size. You can place it anywhere due to its small size and compact design. It is easy to carry and convenient to assemble.
- There is a large mouth opening that makes it easy for you to add the water softening salt. It features an easy to carry handle, high-grade premium resin, and 360-degree swivel for easy portability.
Buying Guide For Water Softeners
When the need arises to buy the best water softener, one gets confused. If you are a newbie to this “water softener” world, then there are some things that you must know.
You have to have an idea about the size, metered or regeneration, and type of water softener you wish to purchase.
Your main goal is to find a unit that fits your requirements perfectly. Do not struggle at the moment, this buyers guide will be of big help to you, and you will find what you are looking for.
First of all, let’s discuss the basics of water softeners.
The kinds of Water Softeners
Every kind of water softener has its benefits and flaws and discovering the right water softener is not a child’s play.
- One kind of water softener is an ion switch water softener that uses salt. This water softener is very popular, and this kind is used by many households.
- Next one is salt-free water softeners. They are known as conditioners and do not compete with other water softeners.
- Lastly, there are some dual tank units and portable water softeners as well – they are all perfect for whole-house usage.
The purpose of explaining the types of water softeners is to make you realize your demands and circumstances so that you’ll make your decision correctly.
1. Ion Switch Water Softeners
In easy words, a water salt-based water softener that functions under the process of “ion switch” for removing ions like calcium and magnesium from the water to make it soft by replacing them with sodium or potassium ions.
The surface of the resin is made from small particles of Sodium ions. As soon as the water interacts with the resin, the Sodium particles overcome the magnesium and calcium ions and remove them from the entire water, leaving the water soft and ready for use.
This is a very common and reliable method for water softening. After some time, the sodium ions will deplete, and the resin particles will cover the hardness causing ions. This is known as the moment when the water softener has to perform the regeneration processes.
The next step is to dissolve a saturated solution of brine from the resin tank into the water. The ions that cause water hardening to dissolve once again into the water and the resin beads become triggered again.
In the end, the brine is filled with magnesium and calcium, which gets flushed into the drain. Now, that’s not that complicated.
Advantages of Ion Switch Water Softeners
Following are some interesting advantages caused by the ion switch water softeners.
- Once you receive clean and hygienic water, you will no longer have to spend hundreds of dollars on cleaning products.
- The ion switch water softener promotes healthy and fair looking skin and hair.
- The clean water increases the lifespan of many of your household appliances and decreases the cost of frequent plumbing.
Disadvantages of Ion Switch Water Softeners
With providing loads of benefits, the ion switch water softeners also have some cons, which are discussed below:
- The major concern about this product is the release of heavy salt into the water.
- The amount of water and salt needed for regeneration purposes can be a lot.
- There is a chance that you will see a sudden increase in your sewer bill
- Drinking or cooking in soft water will increase your daily intake of potassium/sodium. This can give birth to hypertension and blood diseases.
2. Salt-Free Water Softeners
Other than salt-based water softeners, we have salt-free water softeners. However, these are not particularly called softeners, but conditioners. Why is that so?
The reason behind this is that no matter what amount of methods you use to remove contaminations from the water, they will not go away. Their main purpose is to make the minerals less harmful and decrease their build up in the water.
They are more likely to contain a de-scaling technique. The idea you should be getting from this is that no-salt conditioners are much better than water softeners. However, salt-fewer conditioners do not offer high-end benefits like salt-based water softeners.
The methods used for stabilizing the hard water ions include the usage of polyphosphate or citric acid as cleaning agents. Some conditioners use different techniques for stabilizing hard water; they add calcium carbonate.
Advantages of Salt-free Conditioners
Salt-free conditioners offer the following pros:
- Require very easy maintenance tips
- Decreases the risks of water wastage
- Adds no salt into the water
Disadvantages of Salt-free Conditioners
Here are the disadvantages of salt-free conditioners:
- Do not decrease skin problems.
- Most conditioners need a softening product to work.
3. Dual Tank Systems
The basic purpose of a dual tank water softening system is to make two regenerating systems available to offer soft water whenever needed.
If you want to purchase a dual tank system, keep in mind that dual tank systems are bulky and require more space.
4. Portable Units
Portable water softeners are used for smaller tanks. They have a small size, and they can only handle a limited amount of water. What’s more? Portable units often require manual regeneration.
Other than that, portable units are very cheap.
5. Point of Entry P.O.E Units
The best water softener used for providing care for the whole house, the P.O.E. unit. Before water is transferred to all the water taps, it is first softened. Point of entry units is perfect for whole-house systems.
Point of Entry units is a bit expensive than the portable units.
Important Aspects to Consider Before Purchasing – Buyer’s Guide
So, now you know about the types of water softeners. Your choices must be clear now. Other than choosing the “kind of water softener,” there are some other related aspects to your decision as well. Some thoughts and factors accompany every buying process.
All the factors and considerations related to water softeners are discussed below to help you find the best water softener.
The price of a water softener depends on its brand, features, size, and type. In clear words, you can end spending thousands of dollars.
The ideal price for an ion switch water softener ranges from $350 – $1,000, maybe even more. However, the prices usually vary from retailer to retailer. Conditioners, on the other hand, are considered to be affordable.
After buying a water softener, the next step is the installation. You can prefer to install it yourself, only if you know your way around appliances. But, if you can’t, hiring a team of professionals to install it will cost you at least $500.
Timer-Based or Metered Regeneration
This is entirely your choice. These days, many like to use metered regeneration techniques, known as Demand-Initiated Regeneration.
You must know, some DIR systems contain small tanks to accommodate small regeneration stages. The purpose of this is to decrease the chance of water wastage.
On the other hand, some DIR systems come with two resin tanks – dual tank systems. Some contain such advance technology that can calculate and absorb the number of times you need soft water and work accordingly.
Let’s move on to Timer-based water softeners. The name says it all; regeneration is based on the clock. Regardless of the consumption of water, the regeneration will start according to the time set.
You only get to set the timer-based softeners once, so you have to make sure that you set the correct settings. Timer-based water softeners can cause a lot of water wastage if the intervals are not set properly. If you waste a lot of water, you won’t be left with any. So, be alert.
In the end, the choice is yours. It would be best to consider your requirements in the purchasing process. What will you do when you go on a vacation? Will your water be still in use? What will happen to the regeneration stages? Consider these aspects and then make a move.
But, just for competition, it is best to use manual water softeners. Metered of timer-based water softeners have a lot of maintenance requirements and follow-up demands, which not everyone can keep track of.
Flow Rate and Size
By the size, you can determine the number of grains a water softener can handle before it regenerates. The capacity of grains can start from 8,000 – 80,000.
Water softening is not something that can be done immediately; it takes some time. The size determines the flow rate, means how many soft water-producing outlets you can use at the same time. The verdict to this is, you have to choose the right size to receive the right amount of water flow.
- An undersized system will consume a lot of time to soften water. It might even reduce the pressure of water and release more hard water, which will be a waste of your time and money.
- There is no use in purchasing an oversized water softening unit, it is not just expensive, but it can also destroy the resin beads.
Do you want to know the process of sizing a water softener correctly? The first step is to determine the hardness rate of your water and figure out the daily consumption of water to add the correct grain quantity.
If you want to purchase the best water softener, then you must know how to sense modern technology in any item. You must search for those products that are being used in households for a long time and been in the market for a long time as well.
Anything that is being used for a long time means it is built with strong and reliable technology.
If you want to surf the web to discover some reliable water softeners, then you don’t have to do that. Just by reading this content, you can fill your mind with a lot of information, and with the products reviewed in the beginning, you can have your pick.
A water softener must contain modern technology to have easy operations. A water softener that contains a digital control unit offers an easy setting and operating. Plus, whenever there is an error going around in the unit, a message will be displayed on the screen.
Maintenance is a very important consideration when purchasing water softeners. It is important to remember, a water softener that requires less maintenance is probably made to last long. With maintenance, the parts of the unit should also be easily attachable and removable.
If your unit lasts longer than you expected it to, this means that it is built from durable technology. Some water softeners have complicated valves and injectors that require a heavy load of knowledge to work with.
If you consider exchanging dialogue with the dealership about the maintenance of the unit, you will know what you are getting yourself into.
If your water softener needs a new spare part, it is important to have some alternative components. It can be hard to replace a component of a specific brand that has stopped producing appliances years a long time ago.
A water softener that contains a built-in bypass valve is better than going through the troubles of installing a valve yourself. The bypass valve is useful when you have to repair or service the system for a certain period. So, make sure to buy a water softener that contains a built-in bypass valve.
Buying online or from a dealership? That is up to you.
Make sure to ask whatever comes to your mind and stay away from the sellers that pressurize you into making a decision.
You must know that some local companies do not offer salt-based water softeners. The reason behind this is that salt-based water softeners produce a lot of environmental hazards.
A lot of companies offer salt-free water softeners because they are free from any hazards. Other than being safe to use, salt-free water softeners offer a lot of benefits. So, chose wisely.
All of the water-related products are tested from the NSF International organization. This organization contains all the proof needed to buy a good water softener. Other than the NSF, there are some other certification agencies as well that test water equipment.
If the water softener contains a WQA Gold Seal, this means that it is worthy of the purchase. This determines not only the quality of the product but also its preference.
The Company from which you purchase
When buying a good water softener, considering the company is a very vital step.
When you buy from a company, you will receive a warranty card as well. Other services may also come your way like a replacement of the parts.
If the company is good, the controls attached to the water softener must also be commendable. Always buy a water softener from a certified company, because that can be very helpful whenever you need assistance understanding the unit.
Never rush yourself into making a decision. This entire content is posted just for you to make a decision. Some of the best water softeners have been reviewed in the beginning, and each of them offers a lot of features and benefits.
If any of the mentioned products suit your requirements, lock them up and buy them. The range of products available in the market can rattle a buyer but don’t worry; we are here to guide you.
A lot of professionals recommend performing proper research before you purchase anything. We say the same, but by reading our content. We have pretty much covered every aspect that might come in the way of purchasing reliable and affordable water softener.
Now Hurry Up and get the best one for you!
Last update on 2020-10-20 at 20:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API